[governance] ITU - summary of draft ITRs to date

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Jun 7 12:46:08 EDT 2012

In message
<855077AC3D7A7147A7570370CA01ECD2184CE9 at SUEX10-mbx-10.ad.syr.edu>, at
15:45:05 on Thu, 7 Jun 2012, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> writes

It's only one document (although it has several appendices from the
various players). I find it difficult to understand how it's possible to
discuss EC without having read it, it's that much of an important
milestone. Far from struggling to find 10 minutes to read it, I went all
the way to Geneva to hear the CSTD discuss it...

> But having seen and heard the ideas of various players, I am sure that
>the organizations' submissions followed very predictable patterns.
>Those who support the IG status quo provided examples of how EC is
>going swimmingly (I hoisted a beer with Toure in Angola!) those who
>don't, provided evidence of how the IGF in their opinion has failed to
>advance it.

Less than half the contributors mentioned the IGF, and all who did were
positive about it.

>> In the ITU world they rely *very* heavily on previously agreed wording
>> to advance whatever agenda/programme they are currently discussing. The
>> trail today often leads back a decade, when it comes to "you asked to do
>> this, and here we are, still trying to do it".
>
>True, but in a trivial sense. So yes, if you pass a resolution that
>says "UN agencies will follow up on WSIS-related activities every 5
>years, then UN agencies will do that. But that will have no effect on
>how the Internet runs and works, and that is what I was talking about.

They are much more specific than that. Things like "we need to have a
reserved supply of IPv6 available to hand out when it becomes exhausted,
just like IPv4 did". It doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with the
proposition[1], it (and others like that) get hold and slowly but surely
gather momentum.

[1] Some people even say "give them some spare IPv6 to shut them up, we
are sure it won't ever be needed, and in the mean time they'll stop
banging on about it".
--
Roland Perry