[governance] Verisign to control what operating systems you can run on your computer

Kerry Brown kerry at kdbsystems.com
Thu Jun 7 10:24:09 EDT 2012

I fail to see how you believe a feature that is easily turned off endangers "the early egalitarian promise of a decentralised and bottom up architecture of the digital space/ opportunity". Some form of authenticating the OS before loading it is inevitable in this era of malware. All OS' will have to implement this or they will not be secure. Apple is implementing this as well. Linux or any OS can also implement this. Most manufacturers have said it will be easily turned off. I'm not apologising for Microsoft. I run a mix of Open Source, Microsoft, and Apple OS' on my computers and servers. I see some form of checking the OS before loading it as a welcomed security feature. I look forward to the open source community using this technology as well.

The only issue I see is the use of certificates for this purpose. The public CA system is increasingly insecure.

Kerry Brown