[governance] ITU - summary of draft ITRs to date

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jun 6 12:18:31 EDT 2012

In message <20120606141122.275D6819F at quill.bollow.ch>, at 16:11:22 on
Wed, 6 Jun 2012, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> writes
>I read one of the proposed amendments as trying to give ITU the power
>to define what is "spam, malware, etc." in a way that automatically
>gets incorporated by reference into international law:
>
>:: harm to technical facilities and personnel shall be construed to
>:: include spam, malware, etc. as defined in relevant ITU-T
>:: Recommendations (as the case may be), as well as malicious code
>:: transmitted by any telecommunication facility or technology,
>:: including Internet and Internet Protocol.
>
>(CWG/54/4.13)

It might be more helpful if they used the recognised term (UBE or
Unsolicited Bulk Email).

This is the latest version of a document I helped pilot through the
system as long as 12 years ago:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/docs/ripe-409

If for no other reason than in popular culture "Spam" now also includes
excessive work-related communications from one's colleagues, as well as
junk mail from fraudsters and ill-educated or ill-mannered marketers.
--
Roland Perry