[governance] About Facebook blocked and content removed in Brazil

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 10:59:08 EDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Jacqueline Morris
<jam at jacquelinemorris.com>wrote:

> Facebook isn't public. It's a private site with terms and conditions to
> which one agrees before joining.

The double standard that applies to platforms such as FB and Twitter is
very interesting. When they are used in contexts such as the arab spring or
the iranian revolution as platforms to fight and overthrown governments
that we (the West) do not appreciate, then western governments, the media
and civil society start to emphasize the public role of these private
platforms, as enablers of free expression and political rights. When Obama
called Twitter to postpone the maintenance of their website, so that
protesters were not deprived of the platform on a crucial moment of the
revolution, everybody seemed to be ok with the intrusion of the political
interests of a particular government in the work methods of a private
company.

Out of these specific contexts above, the dominant rethoric implies that FB
is a simple private platform, as "innocent" and unimportant to world
politics as if it were still merely a collection of "faces" and "book of
contacts" of one's best friends. The platform is more than that. The fact
that it is becoming so important to interpersonal communication,
expression, and political mobilization in a cross-border fashion makes it a
private-owned platform of public interest and it must be treated
accordingly. Zuckerberg and his best friends should not be entitled to make
crucial decisions all alone and to enforce regulation that touches upon
privacy and FoE, to name a few, as they do, across-borders. There should be
mechanisms of accountability.  FB grew in importance and owners' bank
accounts grew in zeros. This success comes with a price: higher standards
of transparency and accountability. As was said on the other thread, the
more the platform becomes widely used for worldwide communication, the
narrower should be the freedom of FB board to do whatever they like without
democratic ways of discussion.

When it comes to unilateral contracts, free will to negotiate is hampered.
And when it comes to platforms of strong monopolistic tendency, such as FB,
accepting these unilateral contracts (terms of use) can be far from being
an option, but a pre-rquisite to fully engage on communication in the
public sphere.

Marília