[governance] "Oversight"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Jun 5 06:29:14 EDT 2012

David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2012, at 5:17 PM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> > I wouldn't expect it to help with being trustworthy in the eyes of
> > those who don't have their roots in this technical community.
>
> Out of curiosity, what would constitute "being trustworthy" outside of the
> technical and externally verifiability of key integrity?

Technical and external verifiability of key integrity in a way that
is in addition geographically distributed so that the system would
still work reliably if any particular country and all people in it
were to suddenly turn rogue.

John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2012, at 5:17 PM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> > And furthermore, among people outside the US there are strong reasons
> > for not wanting to entrust a special role in CIR management to the US,
> > reasons which are quite independent of any objective risks of the US
> > government abusing such a special role: When your country has been at
> > the receiving end of heavy handed US pressure to adopt and enforce US
> > legal ideas according to US economic interests, quite naturally one
> > of the side effects of that is that you simply don't want to entrust
> > the US particularly with something that is of great value in your eyes.
>
> That may be true, but that is a facile assessment of the situation as it
> considers the USG as one cohesive entity.

Yes, sure, but I'm talking here about an emotional assessment of the
situation that inevitably happens. This is a reality that cannot be
changed by arguments based on in-depth analysis that differentiates
between different parts of the US government.

In addition I would insist that CIR management should be designed to
be so robust that I should not have to trust any particular part of a
country's government more than what is justifiable on the basis of the
overall track record of that country's political and governmental
system.

Greetings,
Norbert