[governance] "Oversight"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Jun 4 20:17:06 EDT 2012

John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
> > For the root zone I would then propose that it would be reasonable
> > to have five root zone signing keys.
> >
> > Each of those root zone signing keys would be entrusted to an
> > organization on a different continent, with these five organizations
> > chosen to be as trustworthy as possible, and as independent of each
> > other as possible, and each protected as well as possible by means of
> > a suitable host country agreement from legal demands to act contrary
> > to the agreed procedures for root zone management.
>
> Actually, something quite similar is already in place:
>
>    http://www.root-dnssec.org/tcr/

However that is specifically aimed at building trust within the
Internet technical community.

I wouldn't expect it to help with being trustworthy in the eyes of
those who don't have their roots in this technical community.

And furthermore, among people outside the US there are strong reasons
for not wanting to entrust a special role in CIR management to the US,
reasons which are quite independent of any objective risks of the US
government abusing such a special role: When your country has been at
the receiving end of heavy handed US pressure to adopt and enforce US
legal ideas according to US economic interests, quite naturally one
of the side effects of that is that you simply don't want to entrust
the US particularly with something that is of great value in your eyes.

So I think that it is a sound idea to distribute the root zone signing
function across multiple countries (I think it was Andrea who asked
whether this would be possible), even if that requires updating the
DNSSEC RFCs.

Greetings,
Norbert