AW: [governance] "Oversight"

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Mon Jun 4 14:14:27 EDT 2012

N:
Suppose that someone (e.g. an industry association of the copyright industry) sued Verisign in a US court with the demand that a given
TLD (with a TLD operator not subject to US jurisdiction) be taken down (on the basis that the TLD operator does not comply with demands
to take down domain names that are used for purposes that are, under US law, copyright violations), and suppose that then Verisign as the
Root Zone Manager is served a formally valid court order to take down that TLD. Am I right in assuming that there is nothing that would stop Verisign
from feeling obligated to comply with that court order?

W:
My understanding from the bilateral contract VeriSign has with the DoC to operate the Hidden Server is that VeriSign will follow only an order which comes from the DoC/NTIA. Any modification of a zone file in the root (deletion, addition, modifcation) needs the authorization of the DoC/NTIA.  This is what a court - in a given case - has to consider.

Wolfgang