[governance] "Oversight"

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Mon Jun 4 12:19:29 EDT 2012

On Monday, June 4, 2012, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
> On Jun 4, 2012, at 8:08 AM, Andrea Glorioso wrote:
>
> On Monday, June 4, 2012, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:
>
>> Indeed, ICANN can remove entire top-level-domains (such as a ccTLD)
>> That is going to be the case for some entity no matter how you set up
>> Internet governance in this area.
>
> What if the authority to take such decision was shared among different
entities?

> The implementation of such a decision will ultimately occur within
a single entity,
> which will exist within the territory of a nation state somewhere.
  Unless that
> particular nation state agrees not to create independent outcomes via its
sovereign
> powers over the implementation entity, I believe you still have the same
situation.

Most international organizations, including those that "implement
decisions", have a certain number of immunities exactly to handle this kind
of situations.

Best,

Andrea

I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.
Twitter: @andreaglorioso
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andrea.glorioso
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1749288&trk=tab_pro