[governance] Re: "Oversight"

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jun 4 02:33:31 EDT 2012

On Sunday 03 June 2012 03:52 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Hi Parminder
>
> On Jun 2, 2012, at 7:20 PM, parminder wrote:
>

>> US employs the term 'oversight' for the role Dept of Commerce plays
>> vis a vis ICANN.
>
> Yes, generally for zone file, IANA function, AoC, etc—more delimited
> and light weight than the sort of broad interventionist policymaking
> that's been variously described by some G77 & China governments.

I have repeatedly said that the US version of what is 'oversight' as you
describe it, is what I mean by oversight. So can we proceed ahead with
that, rather than you insisting that is not what I mean. We are trying
to see here if we/ IGC can agree on some some basic issues of 'enhanced
cooperation'. On the other hand, I dont think that most developing
countries necessarily ascribe all the public policy work to the
'oversight function' itself, although they may be interested in all the
policy stuff apart from the oversight function. In addition, they may
also, at this stage, have mostly only thought of the same body doing the
two set of functions. I do agree that most proposals for an alternative
to the status quo have not been nuanced enough on this count. Which is
one reason ITfC is attempting a more nuanced institutional proposal with
institutional mechanism for oversight function being rather distinct
from any that may be discussed for larger Internet related public policies.

I have in my current proposal/ formulation specially sought separation
of oversight from other (desirable or not) public policy issues/
functions. Are you against this separation? Why when I am ready to
discuss the (narrow) oversight function as separated from other larger
policy functions do you insist on conflating them. Do you want to see
these two set of functions together? If not, we are both on the same
page and can try to move ahead.

>> WGIG was also clear in using the term 'oversight' as the equivalent
>> to the role played by US Dept of Commerce.
>
> Having been on the WGIG and debated the matter at length with the half
> dozen government reps that pushed the issue, I don't think this is
> accurate.

Sorry, I know you were on the WGIG but as I read the WGIG report (and
also Tunis Agenda) I can clearly make out that it saw 'oversight'
function in the narrow sense as I am speaking about rather than the
broad sense that you insist it is meant in international talk.

>  If you look at their three oversight models, these went beyond the
> NTIA functions.

If you look at the WGIG report (for those who may want to, it is here
<http://www.wgig.org/WGIG-Report.html>), the four models you speak of
are not oversight models (that is the short-hand that gets used often),
they are, to quote the section heading, 'global public policy and
oversight' models. And some sense of such separation is kept throughout
in the section (though of course the two can perhaps never be entirely
entirely unconnected). In all the three models that more specifically
speak of 'oversight' along with some broader public policy functions,
the separation is evident from below quotes I provide. The proposed new
Global Internet Council (or a similar body) has a larger set of public
policy functions, within which oversight is proposed as a narrow clear
set of functions.

Quote from Model 1 of WGIG,

      (only one of the proposed 5 functions is ) providing the necessary
    oversight relating to Internet resource management, such as
    additions or deletions to the root zone file, management of IP
    addresses, introduction of gTLDs, delegation and redelegation of ccTLDs.

Model 2 doesnt mention the term 'oversight' but the following quote,
especially the phrase 'In addition' makes the sense of separation clear

    ....an International Internet Council (IIC) could fulfil the
    corresponding functions, especially in relation to ICANN/IANA
    competencies. ..... In addition, its functions might include
    international public policy issues relating to ......

Model 4 in fact actually recommends separate bodies for CIR oversight
and for broader public policy functions, and so I dont think I need to
go into quoting from it.

For the casual reader I should make it clear that at this point I am not
advocating any of these WGIG models, I am only making the point that the
these is sufficiently entreched and wide-spread understanding of
'oversight' as a relatively clear and narrow set of functions, distinct
from all kinds of other global Internet related public policy issues.

This gives us enough basis for us to proceed on thinking of these
functions separately, that is if we indeed want to do so, in suggesting
alternatives that better address the concerns and fears of different
actors.

As I understand, Bill, one of your prime problems is that the two issues
of oversight and wider Internet related public policy are normally
thrown together, so when I am suggesting we proceed with thinking of
them, and the needed institutional responses, separately, why not just
come along :) .

parminder