[governance] "Oversight"

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 16:31:05 EDT 2012

Hi,

Let me reword this. ICANN stakeholders have to take down domains.
Ref: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120301/02042717920/why-isnt-icann-speaking-out-against-icedoj-domain-seizures.shtml

why, because ICANN falls under California Law or simply put US jurisdiction:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/us-govt-claims-right-to-seize-any-com-domain/

Ignorance is what it is. IGF was established to address Internet
Public Policy related issues and thats what its doing isn't it and
aren't we expecting too much from it to do oversight functions, what,
when, how, why? It can't do those.

ICANN is second party Internet space manager under a contract with
NTIA, under US law jurisdiction, and should some other group or body
be capable may be able to apply to future NTIA RFPs for managing the
Internet address space.
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/page/iana-functions-purchase-order

IGF and ICANN, not going to exist long. IGF has a date for its
mandate, ICANN has a limitation of contract with the US govt,
non-multilateral or non-treaty nature and is merely a political
bufferzone in between the IANA function and rest of the world.

What is needed here is new thinking as new as the innovation that
happens along the lines of the Internet today.

and please, stop twisting my words. ignorance is in the high
expectations with these weak institutions, not as ignorance as
individuals.

Fouad

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 12:32 AM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hesitate to intrude here (being new to the list, so I'm sure I'm missing some context), but:
>
> On Jun 3, 2012, at 6:34 AM, Fouad Bajwa wrote:
>> It takes one judicial order to get ICANN to shut down any website, be
>> it american or from some other country.
>
> Technically, this is incorrect. There is no mechanism, even theoretical, by which ICANN could unilaterally shut down a website (well, other than their own of course) be it demanded by judicial order or not. Or are you suggesting there is the perception by the "ignorant" and that ICANN can do this and that "they will learn"?
>
>> no one
>> outside the US boders has any kind of control over their critical
>> internet resources.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand this statement. What are "critical internet resources" over which people within US borders have control and those outside don't?
>
> Regards,
> -drc

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

Regards.