[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Jun 2 16:55:18 EDT 2012

Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> Fri, 1 Jun 2012, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> writes
> >Well, as I understand it at least the main point of introducing city
> >TLDs is to support cities with reinventing themselves to some extent
> >as entities with visible existence not only in the physical realm but
> >also online.
> >
> >This reinventing process implies engaging a much wider variety of
> >people than who would participate in ccTLD governance processes
> >which as far as I know are very much focused on the technical and
> >administrative dimensions
>
> That may be the case for some ccTLDs but I don't think it's universal.
>
> What was needed, I thought, was a model for multistakeholder
> participation, what you discuss after that can be expanded very easily
> if you already have all the stakeholders at the table.

Hmm... I'm deeply sceptical about all assertions that any change in
governance processes can be very easy, or that it is even possible
to get all stakeholders which are relevant to a broad set of issues
to come to a table while only a small subset is being discussed.

Nevertheless, at the present stage I think that it would certainly be
valuable to look at several models besides the ones that I primarily
have in mind (IETF as the "what exists already" model, and now, on the
basis of Tom's suggestion, in addition city TLD governance as test
cases for emerging theories of how public interest oriented governance
can work in practice for a much broader set of topics than IETF's much
narrower, rather technical scope).

So I would certainly welcome suggestions of specific ccTLDs that
might provide a worthwhile "model for multistakeholder participation",
especially if the suggestion is accompanied by an answer to the
question how I and others can acquire enough insight into how the
model works do that it can in actual practice serve as a model.

The idea of using IETF as a model has the big advange that there
are very many people, globally, who have practical experience of how
things work there. By contrast I'd expect that for most ccTLDs there
will be very few people outside the respective country who really know
how the respective governance processes work.

Greetings,
Norbert