FW: [governance] CSTD meeting on enhanced cooperation

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jun 2 09:05:30 EDT 2012

On Friday 01 June 2012 09:15 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> I'm re-sending this because Parminder has ignored it. Really
> interested in rational dialogue on this topic.

Oh, I did not realise you are really interested in a rational dialogue
on this topic!

Because your email basically rejected my proposal on ICANN oversight ex
ante as not worthy of consideration, since I dont attend ICANN meetings,
I am "oddly ignorant of post WSIS critiques of 'oversight' and 'public
policy'" (whose critiques? yours?), and you wonder "whose agenda is it
(meaning, my proposal), because it is certainly not civil society's".
And after this summary rejection, you pointed me to your own submission
on 'ICANN transition' of 2009, apparently as the only proposal worthy of
discussion. Do you think this lays the ground for a 'rational dialogue'?
(BTW, you may remember that ITfC supported the shorter advocacy
statement that you prepared at that time, and so, yes, I am aware of
this longer document as well.)

I understand, basically you want me to comment on /your/ proposal of
'ICANN transition' at the refered link
http://www.internetgovernance.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/IGP-June09NTIAcomment.pdf
. Sure, why not.

Your submission says, there should be a US led international agreement
on ICANN status and role. I dont understand by what does 'US led' mean.
Pl explain. I can only understand international agreements under
international systems, like the UN. An international agreement requires
a international body as a guarantor, it cannot be guaranteed by a party
national government alone. However, we, in general, do agree that
ICANN's status and role should be given and guaranteed by an
international agreement.

Quoting your proposal

            "Governments should be involved not as "oversight"
    authorities or "public policy makers" but as backers of a
    shared legal framework that maintains accountability and gives
    non-state actors a legal basis for settling important disputes."

I see 'oversight' as largely meaning  as backing and ensuring adherence
to the relevant legal framework (arrived through the international
treaty spoken of above) and maintaining accountability.  I quote from my
email / proposal "... this body will have a very narrowly defined role,
with duly laid out procedure to fulfil it. There would not be much
proactive work for it to do at all. " How do you think this corresponds
to your observations on my proposal, and I quote you

"The big difference is that you seem to want an "oversight" body with
the arbitrary power to make policy from the top down and impose it on
ICANN processes and communities, whereas our proposals are designed to
prevent just that."  ????

In any case, in your 2009 proposal you seem to be quite confused between
your hatred of 'public policy' from above and at the same time putting
in clear terms that ICANN should be subject to FoE regulation,
anti-trust law etc (through the international agreement). This is
subjecting ICANN to top down public policy, isnt it. Yes, public policy
written clearly in an legal instrument, with a clearly laid down process
of enforcing it. Nothing more have I asked for. However sometime what is
legitimate public policy may have different versions that just the
Milton one :). But still we agree basically this is what it is.

Then you seek " an appropriate body of national law under which ICANN
should operate", whereby you mean an body of US law. No we cant agree
here US law is made and can be changed by US legislature, and that
doesnt work for the rest of the world. The appropriate body has to be of
international law.

You correspondingly want any non US person or entity to use California
law to seek redress, if required, from ICANN. Again doesnt work for me.

I must mention that it is strange that you, and the US, would want
people and other entities of the rest of the world to resort to US
national law to seek remedies vis a vis management of a global resource
at a time when US is going around promoting FTAs that seek to subvert
relevant domestic laws of the countries that it does FTA with in favour
of international arbitration.  Why being so stingy about sticking to
national law and redress systems in this case. Why cant we have an
international redress system.

So, whose agenda your proposal is, US government's? (Sorry, could not
resist it :) )

parminder