[governance] U.N. takeover of the Internet must be stopped, U.S. warns

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Jun 2 07:13:36 EDT 2012

Avri

Thanks for taking this dialogue forward.

Proactive work on means and models to internationalise CIR oversight,
meaning ridding it from US control, is the same battle as not letting
the ITU impose a new top-down, closed hierarchical CIR/ technical
management architecture. These are not too different battles. If more
and more developing countries are to be stopped from going for the ITU
model (to put it roughly) they need to provided alternatives to the the
unacceptable features of the present model. And we, civil society, need
to do it. We cant just rue that no alternative has been presented. /We/
need to present it. And then write about (and fully publicise) our
non-acceptance of US control model, and our proposed new model, to the
US government and others, and take up active advocacy on it. In the same
way as we so much like to often write to ITU, UN SG, CSTD chair etc.
Apart from showing the right way forward, it will give the right image
of neutrality and representing global public interest to civil society
involved with IG, and also specifically to the IGC.

Going to the specifics; it is not true that no open and participative
models outside the UN have been presented. Carlos Afonso presented a
detailed model during WGIG ( found in the chapter written by him in the
book 'Reforming Internet Governance'
www.wgig.org/docs/book/WGIG_book.pdf ). I understand that this model had
some kind of support from the Brazilian government. Why did we not
pursue it, even if with modifications?

Carlos suggested a specific multistakeholder oversight mechanism. I have
also been suggesting the outlines of a oversight mechanism which goes
beyond typical inter-gov model. Why dont we consider such alternatives?

There are a few issues, as follows, that I have with people who have
just expressed a general wish for multistakeholder without getting into
specifics. We need to get into specifics. I am sure we can resolve these
issues with discussion and clarifications.

1) It is easy to say things should be multistakeholder. The real problem
comes when one has to recommend the specific way multistakeholder reps
will be chosen. ITfC has always focussed on this as the key issue,
becuase in such specifics alone one can know what one really means by
such a new governance system. We made clear recommendations on how
stakeholder reps should be chosen in our submission to WG on IGF
improvements, which recs were also picked up by India's IGF reform
proposal. We have long advocated the .Br model in this regard, and
intend to hold a workshop on it at Baku. Somewhat surprisingly, all the
most enthusiastic advocates of MS-ism on this list have always shied
away from talking about such specifics. There can be no multistakeholder
(MS) governance model if its votaries are not ready to talk about the
specifics.

2) A connected point is, the role and influence of big business on
Internet politics. For groups like ours, this is an extremely important
issue, but when we see MS-ists pass it by lightly, we are indeed very
concerned. Any MS governance model must make incorporate enough
safeguards that its one and only objective is to increase public
representativity, and not further increase the economic, social and
political might of global big business. We must agree on this point and
on due processes that will take care of this concern.

We need to come up with specific proposals that address these issues,
and then advocate them seriously. When developing countries see us going
even ahead of them in seeking due corrections in the global IG system,
in a manner that is really effective, i e  by providing real alternative
models, then they will know we are really neutral, and seek to serve the
global public interest. Such a proactive stance then also helps us
negotiate and get advantages and benefits in other areas, like, to start
with, restraining ITU from gaining any undue role in global IG (while
supporting the roles that are legitimate for ITU).

parminder