[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jun 1 17:28:54 EDT 2012

Thomas Lowenhaupt <toml at communisphere.com> wrote:
>> With ICANN's initial new TLD process having recently closed, and with
>> hearsay indicating that several cities have applied for TLDs, perhaps
>> the Enhanced Cooperation framework might be piloted on city TLDs. Then,
>> with success, it might be broadened.

That's a very interesting idea!!! I'm very much in favor of pursuing it!

Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> replied:
> I'm not sure why we can't use the example of various ccTLDs which have
> had very successful multi-stakeholder participation and policy making
> for many years. Why wait till 2014 for .berlin to be a shining example,
> when we already have .uk?

Well, as I understand it at least the main point of introducing city
TLDs is to support cities with reinventing themselves to some extent
as entities with visible existence not only in the physical realm but
also online.

This reinventing process implies engaging a much wider variety of
people than who would participate in ccTLD governance processes
which as far as I know are very much focused on the technical and
administrative dimensions, so I think that the kind of city TLD
governance that Tom has in mind [1] could very well be a good model
and testbed for that audacious "Enhanced Cooperation Task Force" idea
about which I'm so excited.

[1] from Tom's statement at the Nairobi IGF:
"Entities that traditionally sell domain names as their business are
leading cities into the traditional "the-more-names-sold-the-better"
business model. We suggest that a more appropriate model for cities
might be the level of improvement in children's education, in
residents efficiently provided health care, with the increased number
of local communication channels, on how well the digital divide has
been reduced, etc. These are the measurements that count for cities,
not the number of domain names sold."
Source: http://idgovmap.org/Lowenhaupt2011

Greetings,
Norbert