[governance] U.N. takeover of the Internet must be stopped, U.S. warns

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jun 1 15:25:22 EDT 2012

That's very useful, John. Thanks. It confirms my hunch, which is that the basic purpose of a host country agreement is to protect the IO and its staff from application of national law.
And you add the important point that in order to protect the people from abuse by the IO, there needs to be an international treaty agreement specifying the rights and limitations of the IO in question.

With respect to standing in California courts, I believe (but IANACLB** and thus am not sure) that membership rights could be asserted by anyone who was a member of the organization in question, regardless of whether they were a US citizen.

** IANACLB = I am not a California lawyer, baby. (But I do have a tan like one - It's been sunny here)