[governance] U.N. takeover of the Internet must be stopped, U.S. warns

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Fri Jun 1 12:01:39 EDT 2012

Ten years ago, almost, I had a conversation in Beijing, with Chinese
gov official in charge of ICANN and IG.

He said: we don't like the US government to have control over ICANN.
I said: I agree with you, as a member of civil society, I don't like that.

He said: We like to move the control to UN based inter-governmental body.
I said: I don't agree. We don't like government control, any
government, that's where we don't agree. It should be
multi-stakeholder, users, or civil society should be engaged with
governments and private sector, as far as the management of domain
name and IP addresses are concerned.

Yes, based outside US legal system, international body, host country
agreement, with multi-stakeholder composition in decision making.  Too
abstract? Yes, principles are always abstract.

izumi