[governance] IGF and Enhanced Cooperation

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jun 1 05:11:05 EDT 2012

parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> Both your initial framing of questions and the way to go forward, and
> the new responses to Marilia's email, are very valid, and thought
> provoking. Our proposal to look at the institutional mapping and the way
> forward separately for CIT/ tech standards on one side and
> social-eco-cultural policy issues on the other (not that the division is
> absolutely neat) is that there are different actors involved and actors
> have different roles, on the two sides.

Ok, so if this description is accurate, and the way forward is looked
at separately for the two areas, I would expect that that will lead to
Enhanced Cooperation going forward separately, or not, in each of the
two areas.

My vision for Enhanced Cooperation is to put both areas together,
jointly, under a single institutional "Enhanced Cooperation Task
Force" framework, modeled to some extent on the IETF, and a single set
of process principles that are designed to operate as closely as
possible to what Daniel Kalchev calls "the 'common sense' law that
every human being on this planet knows unconditionally". The output
of this "Enhanced Cooperation Task Force" would be Request For Action
(RFA) documents, which analogously to RFCs would not have direct
legal force, but they'd be informative and persuasive and maybe
eventually any government that doesn't follow the recommendations of
the RFAs without giving really good reasons for choosing differently
will get voted out of office quickly.

So if I agree to a bipartition framing, I fear that I might thereby
kill my vision, and I don't want to do that.

But I'd agree to a tripartition framing along the lines of

(a) What are the current institutions in the "CIR + tech standards"
    area, and how might an Enhanced Cooperation process be established
    that addresses this area specifically?

(b) What are the current institutions in the "social-eco-cultural policy"
    area, and how might an Enhanced Cooperation process be established
    that addresses this area specifically?

(c) What are the concerns and challenges which are common to both of
    these areas, and how might an Enhanced Cooperation process be
    established that addresses both of these areas jointly?

Greetings,
Norbert