[governance] ECTF (was Re: Aspen)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Jul 24 10:14:25 EDT 2012

I wrote:
> Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> > I have been trying to take time out to comment on your ECTF
> > process, with which I indeed have many issues, but I would present
> > them at some later point of time. Now, just that I was intrigued to
> > read that the ECTF proposal was meant as an 'input providing
> > process' for policy making and as a not policy making process per
> > se. If this is true, it would greatly change my perspective on the
> > ECTF proposal.
>
> I can assure you that ECTF is definitely meant as an /input providing
> process for policy making/, and that there is no intention to give
> ECTF authority to make actual policy decisions. If this is not clear
> enough from the draft text that I have put up, I will be very eager to
> clarify that. In fact your reaction tells me that this is probably not
> clear enough, so I will revise the draft text ASAP to make this aspect
> clearer.

Done now; the revised draft is again at
http://enhanced-cooperation.org/RFA/1.html

Substantive changes since the previous revision:
* At the end of the introduction, added a point that ECTF does not
  make decisions about what balance to choose between conflicting
  legitimate interests. ECTF however provides input for such
  decisions.
* Added to section 4.1 on fundamental values a clarification about
  ECTF's purpose being to provide input for policy decision making
  processes of national governments and other governance institutions.
* Added the new section 4.4 "Overall Rough Consensus Endorsement"
  and new text at the end of section 4.7.2 on the Committee's
  responsibility in determining "Overall Rough Consensus". There is
  a clarification (inspired by something that Jeremy wrote a while
  back) that "Overall Rough Consensus" implies rough consensus among
  each of the major stakeholder categories government, civil society
  and industry.
* Moved the text on changes to the ECTF Working Directives to its
  own subsection and added a clarification that a proposal to make
  ECTF part of the UN or another treaty-based international
  organization would need to be approved in the same way.

Greetings,
Norbert