[governance] East Africa IGF - day 2, discussion of ITRs

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Thu Jul 19 09:33:37 EDT 2012

2012/7/19 parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>:
> Izumi
>
> I am surprised at your surprise. I have been raising these issues about the
> so called Asia Pacific IGF since the very first meeting in Hongkong. I
> attended the first meeting kind of under protest just to raise these issues
> with the hope that they may get addressed in the subsequent meetings. Since
> you have been more actively involved in just this meeting you may check with
> Peng Hwa about our ongoing private and public conversations on this issue.

Ok, will talk with him.

> On the specific issue of inviting Asia Pacific regional commission, while I
> have spoken of it before, I cant see how it can elude the collective mind of
> the organisers when most regional IGFs have an important role for regional
> UN commissions. What one remembers and what one forgets also represent
> mindsets and world views and this corroborates my observation of
> dis-balanced  representation in and ownership of what gets called as asia
> pacific regional IGF.

Generalization is fine. I have reservation with your specifics.

BTW, I am unable to know who the organisers of this
> meeting are other than the Japanese ISP association and .asia, because no
> such information is available on the website. Why would such basic
> information about ownership and representation of the event get forgotten to
> be put out. Does this not violate basic standards of transparency. The
> report of WG on improvements to the IGF, of which you were a member, goes to
> good length about  nature of representativity of different groups in
> managing IGFs, completely transparency of funding etc.... Would these
> standards not apply to events that presume to the tag of regional IGFs?

I will liaise these to the organizers. I have checked most of the
reginoal IGF website, but few, if any, is disclosing the funding
breakdowns, at least in the html pages, if there might be other
reports in PDF.
As for the composition of the host organization, there are varying
degrees of transparency or descriptions. I would say APrIGF is not up
to the highest
standard, but not the bottom either.

> And I cant see why, when you want to call your event as 'the regional IGF',
> are you sensitive to simple questions about transparency, responsiveness and
> accountability.

Are you asking this to me personally, or collectively? I am not
"representing" the APrIGF organizer, am a member of its
Multistakeholder
advisory group, which has lose organizational definition and membership,
and not fully transparent. However, few other IGFs also provide much
information about the details of the organizing bodies. I can say there
is room to improve, but I do not buy the argument that we lack the
legitimacy as bottom-up.

Sorry, Parminder, I would say APrIGF is not in the ideal state of
transparency and openess, but to me the way I like to see is
of mutual constructive engagement and dialogue.

And you have not responded to some of my replies such as why
you did not send us the reminder.

izumi

--
                     >> Izumi Aizu <<