[governance] Re: ITU consultation and open access => IGF working groups

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Jul 16 23:41:33 EDT 2012

On 17/07/12 03:58, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> I agree with Bill's critique of Jeremy and Norbert's approach
> (re-invent the IGF and hope everyone shows up for it).
>
> It seems to me we have to get the IGF to work. The IGF itself, not a
> clone or a re-run. If we can't get the governments that were critical
> of the IG status quo, and the private sector players who were scared
> of any deviation from the IG status quo, to work with us properly in
> the context of the existing IGF, repeating the experiment in a new,
> even more marginalized venue, is unlikely to work.

As you can imagine, nothing would please me more than getting the IGF to
work better, but I had to regard the WGIGF as its last best hope in the
short term.  In the wake of WGIGF's failure to propose meaningful
reforms, time's a-ticking and regressive policies that impact the
Internet are being developed right now in other fora.  So we can't wait
another three, two or even one year for the IGF to get it right.  Public
demonstrations and online campaigns are not going to be a sustainable
strategy to oppose every rights-invasive law or treaty that comes
along.  We urgently need a process to develop concrete positive
alternatives.

So, let's see if there isn't room to compromise.  What if the ECTF were
repositioned as *being* a working group of the IGF, notwithstanding that
nobody has given permission for such a thing?  Do we need permission?
Why?  It's our IGF, after all.

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer*