[governance] ITU consultation and open access => IGF working groups

Avri Doria avri at ella.com
Sun Jul 15 12:36:03 EDT 2012

On 14 Jul 2012, at 22:00, William Drake wrote:

> *Enhanced Cooperation, per some of the May CSTD interventions, including APC's http://www.apc.org/en/news/enhancing-cooperation-among-stakeholders-internet (much more likely to attract governments etc. than something under IETF, which carries additional internal burdens)
>
> *Embodiment of the WSIS principles in global IG processes/"openess, transparency, legitimacy, accountability, membership, acess, diversity, bottom up PDP "
>
> *IG4D (a similar cross-cutting criteria-based exercise, e.g. as proposed in my chapter in the Sharm book http://www.intgovforum.org/cms/images/2010/book/igf.sharm.book.final.pdf )

I think this is good.  All 3 of these should either become or continue to be cross-cutting themes for the IGF.  And perhaps that is the key to the cross-cutting themes that sometimes recognized by the short shrift* rather than by the focus they have gotten.  Perhaps to be a cross-cutting theme means there must be an ongoing 12 month/year effort on these topic - not just the customary lets plan a big get together so we can talk once a year approach the IGF currently takes.  these working groups could, e.g. meet at every consultation** and do list and online work between.

> Putting the WG construct back on the table for discussion in the MAG and beyond (including at the IGC's Baku workshop) would be a concrete and useful contribution.  Do others here dis/agree?

I agree.

What we have to get away from is the UN model of Working Groups.

The IGF is not part of the UN system, even though the UN is still administratively responsible for it at this point.  I maintain that this need not always be the case since it is obvious that the process of "initiating a forum" is done and we are now involved in a maturing forum that no longer needs the UN's sovereignty.

But beyond what happens in the future with IGF administration, this also mean that when the IGF say WG, it does not mean an UN WG.  What it needs to mean is a IGF WG, which will be as different from an UN WG as it is from an IETF WG or from an ICANN WG or from an ... WG.

avri

* short shrift: rapid and unsympathetic dismissal; curt treatment:
                e.g. the judge gave short shrift to an argument based on the right to free speech.
               • archaic little time between condemnation and execution or punishment.
               (from built in dictionary OSX)

** and perhaps these consultation need to start moving around the world and perhaps should start being associated with other events as was once the original concept.  Certainly the WGs could meet in association with other meetings many of the IGF flying circus also attend.