[governance] Follow-up on principles, pre-event, ECTF, WG: need for focus by IGC

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 23:48:12 EDT 2012

Dear All,

I apologise for the delayed response as I have been travelling and am
back in Fiji.  Frankly, my take on Jeremy's suggestions and all other
contributions is that clearly there is a need to improve our
engagement. My personal views (not as co-coordinator) are as follows:-

a)  identify areas (foras, public policy areas) especially that we
would like to strategically focus on;
b) utilize the research that Norbert Bollow has already done in
identifying public policy areas that require strategic input from us
(noting various organizations that are already engaging so that we
avoid duplication);
c)have a Team  who are mandated to work together with regional IGFs
and national IGFs to develop a bottom-up approach to clear Internet
Governance principles;
d)create better rapport amongst other civil society groups;
f)improve our information management systems regarding key public
policy areas on the website;
e)encourage outreach and capacity building.

I find that with all our varied expertise, combined experiences,
diverse perspectives we can work together to make things count. This
would mean the development of a Strategic Development Plan and a Team
of volunteers to work on charting a way forward, if I had my way, this
would be done but since this is a group that is not driven by the
coordinators but by consensus of the IGC, it requires that we reach
consensus on the way forward.

It is good to see that Wolfgang Kleinwachter has volunteered to drive
the development of Internet Governance principles.

As for the discussion on the applicability of human rights to layers
of the internet, this will make an interesting debate and discussion.