AW: [governance] Declaration of Internet Freedom

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 05:38:33 EDT 2012

Hello,

As someone who contributed to the collaborative drafting of the document
that started this thread (and a lurker on this list), I think input from
IGC members, particularly to revise future iterations of such docs, would
be most welcome.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> I added this to the links page at http://igcaucus.org/links and added
> years.

A good start.  There are likely dozens more from specific countries.  For
instance, this US "digital bill of rights" proposed by 2 Congressmen in
2012:
http://keepthewebopen.com/

  ****
> It would be good to bring all these initiatives together and the DC on
> Internet Rights and Principles would be a suitable place for doing so.****
>
> ** **
>
> Unfortunately, people seem prefer to work in parallel which might limit
> the effects of such efforts.
>
> Indeed.  Part of the problem is that whereas there are strong global
> action networks on issues like IP and the environment, in IG we have only
> the IGC, and it is invisible to (or at least ignored by) large parts of the
> Internet activist community.

Right.  I don't know how many people *prefer* to work in parallel; it's
often just a byproduct of haste and different social circles.
 Self-consciously so in this case.

While the first version of the declaration was put out in time for July 4th
(yes, a nod to US-centric publicity), another iteration is hoped for, with
more involvement and more explicit recognition of any parallel or ancestral
efforts, by September.

> in my view, it is far too US centric and fails to build on and recognize
the
> significant work done by many key experts and organizations involved in
the
> WSIS and IGF processes over the last 9-10 years (if not longer)

Any specifics you can offer, in terms of work, experts, or organizations,
would be helpful.

Sam.