[governance] Human Rights Council Resolution on Human Rights on the Internet

Matthias C. Kettemann matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Fri Jul 6 02:02:53 EDT 2012

Dear all,

after lots of declaration on Internet rights (and freedom), we now have
a resolution as well.

On Thursday, the Human Rights Council  has adopted a resolution entitled
"The promotion, protection and enjoyment of human rights on the Internet
". It is brief and largely uncontroversial, but falls short of spelling
out more clearly the obligations of states vis-a-vis the Internet and
the limits to their attempts to limit Internet freedoms.

Here we go:
[The Human Rights Council]

1./Affirms /that the same rights that people have offline must also be
protected online, in particular freedom of expression, which is
applicable regardless of frontiers and through any media of one’s
choice, in accordance with articles 19 of the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights;

2./Recognizes /the global and open nature of the Internet as a driving
force in accelerating progress towards development in its various forms;

3./Calls upon**/all States to promote and facilitate access to the
Internet and international cooperation aimed at the development of media
and information and communications facilities in all countries;

4./Encourages /special procedures to take these issues into account
within their existing mandates, as applicable;**

5./Decides /to continue its consideration of the promotion, protection
and enjoyment of human rights, including the right to freedom of
expression, on the Internet and in other technologies, as well as of how
the Internet can be an important tool for development and for exercising
human rights, in accordance with its programme of work.

I've written a brief entry on the resolution
(http://internationallawandtheinternet.blogspot.co.at/) and have
suggested that we need to put a bit more flesh on the bones of the
Council's commitment (You can find the resolution here, but it's still
the draft version: https://netzpolitik.org/wp-upload/G1214710.pdf).

That's another task for the pre-IGF phase, I fear.

Kind regards

Matthias

--

Univ.-Ass. Mag. iur. Matthias C. Kettemann, LL.M. (Harvard)

Institut für Völkerrecht und Internationale Beziehungen
Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz

Universitätsstraße 15/A4, 8010 Graz, Österreich

T | +43 316 380 6711 (Büro)
M | +43 676 701 7175 (mobil)
F | +43 316 380 9455
E | matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Blog | internationallawandtheinternet.blogspot.com

--

Mag. iur. Matthias C. Kettemann, LL.M. (Harvard)
Teaching and Research Fellow

Institute of International Law and International Relations
University of Graz

Universitätsstraße 15/A4, 8010 Graz, Austria

T | +43 316 380 6711 (office)
M | +43 676 701 7175 (mobile)
F | +43 316 380 9455
E | matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Blog | internationallawandtheinternet.blogspot.com