[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Jul 5 22:38:02 EDT 2012

Avri,

On Jul 5, 2012, at 4:22 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2012, at 18:47, David Conrad wrote:
>> As far as I know, the ASO (= the NRO)
>
> Does '=' mean:
>
> - the same organization
> - ASO is an ICANN supporting organization that passes on all that the NRO (RIR 'collective') does for Board (and GAC?) blessing. Sort of an intermediary.
> - mostly overlap becasue it is the same people but separate organization that could have a separate agenda if is was wished.

I'd say #2 with the caveat that it only passes on things (to the Board) that are defined within the respective RIR's PDPs as 'global policies' (an extremely small and well defined subset of what the RIRs do, basically telling IANA what to do).  I believe what Milton is raising is that there are a set of concerns (e.g., consistency among RIRs registrant data or transparency in the address trading market) that would probably be useful from a global perspective but for which the RIRs have little incentive to come up with a unified approach.

However, I'm sure I got this wrong and John and/or Milton will correct me momentarily :-)

Regards,
-drc