[governance] Picking up where the IGF left off: our role in the future of Internet governance

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Jul 5 00:13:04 EDT 2012

On 04/07/12 22:30, Avri Doria wrote:
> I think it is too early to give up on the IGF.  As I have argued elsewhere, its locus of control is shifting from the UN initiation to the input of multiple national and regional IGF-like multi-stakehoder meetings.  Not there yet, but it is becoming a national and regionally motivated organization.
>
> I see a twofold  problem with starting from scratch yet again :
>
> - need to attract the governments
> - need to go through all the early growing pain nonsense that the IGF is just starting to come out of.
>
> But there is lot I agree with in the content of your blog.  I just think we need to get the IGF to do it and not focus on yet another new organization.

It mightn't be a case of either/or.  It might be that we could do the
groundwork to establish a structure for the development of policy
recommendations (outside of the MAG, which would veto it before it got
off the ground), and then once we have something viable with a few major
stakeholders behind it, saying to the IGF "Hey, look at what we've got
here - do you want it?".

--

*Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer*