[governance] Follow-up on principles, pre-event, ECTF, WG: need for focus by IGC

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Jul 4 02:35:28 EDT 2012

Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2012, at 01:44, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
>
> > In respect of the second, we have at least four different
> > approaches: Norbert's Enhanced Cooperation Task Force that would
> > develop "Request for Action" documents, Wolfgang's
> > multistakeholder expert group to look into enhanced cooperation
> > mechanisms (much like what the CSTD could have formed but didn't)
> > that he says "could" (but would it?) emerge from the IGF this
> > year, Parminder's suggestion that civil society propose our own
> > concrete models first, and the widely-supported suggestion that we
> > hold a pre-event in Baku to discuss all this (or at least do so in
> > the "Quo Vadis" workshop).
>
> I would like to add the suggestion that this is a task for the IGF
> to pick up and EC, in some phrase variation or other, should be [a,
> the]  theme for IGF2013.
>
> Others have suggested this at various times in the past.  I think
> now is the time to just do it.

While I'm in strong agreement with the view that "now is the time to
just do it", I would say that pretty much by definition, Enhanced
Cooperation can't be done without active involvement of at least some
governments.

There needs to be a credible and reasonably attractive invitation to
governments to cooperate constructively in a way in which all
reasonable stakeholder concerns are appropriately taken into
consideration. (As discussed earlier, I'm working on an Internet-Draft
outlining my ideas; this should be available soon.)

On the other hand, those who currently hold great power, industry
incumbents and those governments which seek to protect the
interests of such companies, are obviously opposed to having
any meaningful discussion that could lead to significant changes.
I would be very surprised if there is any chance of reaching consensus
in a body like the MAG for making this [a, the] major theme of IGF2013.

I'd nevertheless like us to push for this as hard as we can though.

Every bit of civil society visibilty in this area is good since it
reduces the temptations for governments to turn to ITU and/or
plurilateral purely intergovernmental negotiations (like ACTA) for
their perceived enhanced cooperation needs.

Greetings,
Norbert