[governance] FBI, DEA, IPv6 & ICANN

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 21:08:59 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Carlos A. Afonso <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:
> Hi McTIm & John,
>
> Yes, I read the NRO-ICANN MouU when it was issued +or- eight years ago
> -- could not find any update of it, except an internal MoU AfriNIC-NRO
> to account for the inclusion of the latest RIR.
>
> If you look at the IANA contract (the statement of work), and the
> Affirmation of Commitments (AoC), both correctly consider ICANN as the
> *only* official counterpart regarding governance of the logical infra.

The docs might, but the FBI, IRS, RCMP, et.al., send folk to ARIN meetings.

> There is no mention of the derived structures. It is relevant to recall
> the footnote to the AoC: "For the purposes of this Affirmation the
> Internet's domain name and addressing system (DNS) is defined as: domain
> names; Internet protocol addresses and autonomous system numbers;
> protocol port and parameter numbers. ICANN coordinates these identifiers
> at the overall level, consistent with its mission."

yes at the global level, in other words the IANA is the "root" of IP
address distribution.

> The ARIN response to the NTIA RFC (2011) describes suggestions of NRO
> members (strangely, not NRO itself - perhaps because it is not
> incorporated?) becoming official parts in any new official arrangement
> with NTIA (and even the IETF is bundled in the suggestion), but the fact
> is that this has not yet happened -- and in my view would amount to an
> effective decentralization of the role currently played exclusively by
> ICANN, either as contractor regarding the USG or an international
> governance structure. But, I repeat, this has not yet happened.
>
> So, in summary: ICANN is the body to which direct my question which has
> motivated this thread. Put in another way: ICANN is the body responsible
> for responding to the concerns expressed by the community regarding
> LEAs' intrusion into IPv6 deployment.

Unless there is a global policy to be considered, I would suggest
ICANN is out of the picture.

In practice, the RIR fora are the place where these policies will be
made (or not made).

--
Cheers,

McTim