[governance] Oversight

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jul 2 02:13:09 EDT 2012

John

I agree with every single thing you have written in this email; only you
have put it all so much better than I have been able to :).

I do not blame ICANN for being clumsy in dealing with public policy
matters, because, as you stress, that is not its mandate. Yes, ICANN
needs better and clearer public policy guidelines and principles to be
able to do its core technical function. (Tunis agenda calls for
developing such principles as one main function of 'enhanced
cooperation'). However, those within ICANN and outside who ask for full
autonomy of ICANN (from authoritative public policy guidance), need to
explain how do they seek to expand ICANN roles into public policy areas
as well. On what basis, and what would be the required changes to the
ICANN?. I do see that you are completely against any such expansion, and
so am I.

Either ICANN does its own public policy, which is against its current
mandate, or public policy directions come from outside. My case is that
the present manner in which it gets its public policy directions is very
problematic, unbalanced and undemocratic. I do give quarters to some
level of bottom up and p2p consultative public policy inputting, but
often that leaves the final decisions so fully and unaccountably in
ICANN hands  that it practically does its own substantive public policy,
which, somewhat expectedly, mostly results in not too good results. The
inept manner in which ICANN has dealt with the many public policy issues
around  new gtlds being a case in point. Over this year, we would hear
much about this 'case'.

You highlight very well the kind of difficulties that the ICANN system
faces with regard to public policy issues impinging on its technical
coordination work. Operationalising 'enhanced cooperation' is precisely
about addressing this 'key problem'. However, it is not the idea to put
some governments in charge who could be giving ad hoc directions to
ICANN. We need a much more sophisticated response. My proposal was
something like the following.

A UN CIRP like body - without a direct oversight role like at present
with the US -  does soft policy work, develops policy principles and
frameworks, explores spaces of possible agreements, enable treaties when
required...... basically does the task  that you describe so well as
follows,

    "If you're seeking consensus on important and complex public policy
    matters, it  would be best to drive that to resolution down to basic
    principles of agreement elsewhere before attempting to apply those
    principles to technical matters such as protocol development and
    identifier management." (John Curran)

Then these policy principles and frameworks are variously communicated
to the ICANN system. An internationalised oversight board takes over the
oversight function currently performed by the US, but has a minimal
direct inference possibility. It does review of structure, process,
mechanisms etc, but also conveys the authoritative public policy
principles developed at the UN CIRP  to ICANN.  A GAC like body is the
more operational and regular interface with ICANN, giving advance
inputs, review of decisions etc, based on the coded public policy
principles. It would work more or less as at present but maybe with
improved and better structured relationship with ICAAN board and other
bodies.

And as a final judicial review forum, the International court of justice
can be asked to have a separate division for Internet related matters,
as it does for some other areas.

parminder