[governance] Re: How can we effectively discuss current issues? (SOPA, webinars, questions)

Aldo Matteucci aldo.matteucci at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 13:38:34 EST 2012

Thank you, Tim,

for a very thoughtful reply.
I'll have to see how, later tonight, send the ball over the net in a
meaningful way,
and keep the ping pong going.

To your latest point:

I'm not sure I follow your point here. Are you arguing that Twitter-like
communication leads to a clustering of opinions? Or that twitter itself
does? Or something else?

SUROWIECKI's point is "diversity" of opinion. The more the bettr - it is
like a social "trial and error" game we play. We are more likely to find a
solution if 1000 imperfect brains think, that if an even superior brain
does, simply because he is not able to grasp all points of view.
People then have to think for themselves, not just reflexively agree with
others are saying.

By posing the question is "voting" terms, and shortcutting the discussion,
we pauperise the process and are more likely to end up with an inferior
solution. Twitter tends to paurperise the discussion (not the information).
This is dangerous.

I've just received in the mail Richard SENNETT (2012): *Together: the
rituals, pleasures and politics of cooperation.*
**
on pg.8 he states the argment of the book: "Modern society is 'de-skilling'
people in practicing cooperation. (...)  People are losing the skills to
deal with intractable differences as material inequality isolates them,
short-term labour makes their social contacts more superficial and
activates anxiety about the Other."

In my latest blog I've provocatively labelled twitter as "virtual
pheromones" - they provide communication all right, as pheromones do, by
they do not trigger creativity as change, which is the essence of a culture
based society. I see twitter as just one of several "technologies" which,
if improperly used, lead to this de-skilling. And it scares me - for change
is the only chance we've got to save ourselves by the skin of our teeth.

Aldo

--
Aldo Matteucci
65, Pourtalèsstr.