[governance] sharing: Changes to Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service

Sylvia Caras sylvia.caras at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 14:03:54 EST 2012

I think for smart phone users, logged in all the time, this policy will
synch all Google  use.  For me, a desktop user, I now understand a trend
I've been aware of.

A while back Google provided a 'multiple sign-in' option, thus linking
accounts.  And offered to prioritize mail with 'most important' flags.
Then Google has been 'improving' it's email interface and now is insisting
the new choice be adopted.  The sign-out is now in a drop-down, an extra
click to log out.  And an extra click to log in.  This provides a 'home
page' with a large spot for advertising, and keeps the non-vigilant user
logged in.  So I see all this culminating in the new no-privacy policy, log
in and get shared, log in and get helped, directed by Nanny Google.

On the other hand, GMail has a spam filter superior to my ISP.

I'm debating whether to stick with GMail (I do like reading and archiving
in the cloud), and have lately been using Firefox instead of Chrome.

I am disenchanted with the changes, associate them with the new management,
... What has been happening has seemed to me like a company high on speed,
changing, changing, competing, acting, ... without considering all the
consequences.

Maybe this is towards profit.  Or position.

Sylvia