[governance] FW: [A2k] Forbes: If You Thought SOPA Was Bad,Just Wait Until You Meet ACTA

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 11:53:02 EST 2012

Dear All,

In relation to Michael's comments on the ACTA, there was a dynamic session
on Intellectual Property: ACTA and other controversies in the Asia Pacific
Regional IGF in 2011, visit  http://2011.rigf.asia/program.php  and you can
access transcripts and a recorded video of the session.

The description of the session on the website is as follows:
"   The Anti-Counterfeit Trade Agreement would be a treaty to put in place
new and higher international standards on intellectual property
enforcement. Apart from its obvious TRIPS-Plus nature and forceful use of
ISPs as private police, ACTA reveals a couple of critically important
aspects that deserve careful scrutiny from the perspective of Internet
Governance. ACTA’s plurilateral and closed negotiation process directly
goes against the multi-stakeholder and open and transparent participation
principles developed for Internet Governance. ACTA’s narrow focus on
intellectual property rights ignores human rights concerns, especially free
speech and access to the Internet, that are essential in the information
society. ACTA demonstrate the temptation to shift from the existing
multilateral WIPO-WTO regime to a more restricted and opaque system to
enforce the private exclusive rights on the global information network. In
addition, other domestic (such as US Bill “Combating Online Infringement
and Counterfeits Act (COICA)”) or private (such as ICANN’s trademark
measures in new gTLD process) enforcement measures for intellectual
property will exert significant global impact. The session intends to have
a vivid discussion on all these interesting issues in the most populous and
economic-booming region of the world. "

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT
Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro