[governance] Anonymous allegedly takes down sites

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 22:53:37 EST 2012

Dear All,

In light of what has been touted as the largest attack allegedly carried
out by Anonymous which is reported to have been an attack on 10 sites in 20
minutes, see:
http://www.slashgear.com/anonymous-take-down-department-of-justice-riaa-mpaa-universal-music-19210145/
 in which the US Department of Justice link and other websites were
targeted raises numerous issues in internet governance.

The attack is alleged to be in protest of the controversial SOPA and PIPA
Bills. We encourage dialogue and robust debate and any threats to the
internet architecture is indicative that there is a group of people and
organised communities who are unhappy with how things are discussed and
debated. To take down websites arbitrarily whether by governments,
regulators or independent groups is a threat to the internet architecture.
Regardless of how much we dislike a Bill, we have to engage in legitimate
processes to encourage dialogue and debate issues.

It is a contradiction to lobby against the arbitrary censorship that the
SOPA and PIPA Bill and to arbitrarily take down a site just because they do
not share our point of view. At the same time, I am mindful that without a
full and independent investigation being carried out, we have no way of
knowing whether it was an attack by Anti SOPA and PIPA lobbyists or whether
the attacks were engineered by victims of the attacks to divert attention
away from the actual issues which is *arbitrary censorship*. These are all
mere speculation and of course until the matter is fully investigated, we
will never know.

One thing is certain, we should not detract from the core issue that
arbitrary censorship that endangers freedom of expression is dangerous.

Kind Regards,

These are my personal views.

Kind Regards,

--