[governance] Are IPR "human rights"?

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 14:07:01 EST 2012

Endangered? Not quite. Health and the FOSS movement have made
significant contributions. Let me be provocative.

What is missing is mass based support for these issues in the rich
countries. The Pirate Party at least represents a start, if symbolic for
now, but it does set up a serious political dialectic.

How many people stood by as the DNS system was rendered "competent" for
copyright "claims" - most everyone official including WIPO with its
arbitral tribunals on cyber squatting. What was missing was vigilence.
And if you give rentiers a hand they are likely to take an arm and a leg
thrown in for good measure - who can resist extensive monopoly power.
This is an issue that is coming full circle.

It is amazing, in health developing countries have legal rights to copy
medicines for HIV (or anything for that matter) but cannot do so because
of US Super 301 legislation. Oh, in a crisis Greece can cut pharma
prices, Italy can issue Compulsory Licenses, but let a developing
country try that and all hell breaks loose. Authors rights, by rich
country fiat, trump the right to health and the right to life. What is a
treatable condition in the first world is a death sentence in the third.
So much for deference for human rights. They are valuable but
susceptible to parochial interpretation by rich countries, and not least
by third world rulers.

Even this whole "stealing jobs" issue in the rich countries particularly
in high-tech sectors is linked to the globalisation of protection and
enforcement of IPRs (instead of territorial specificity without 'most
favoured nation' and 'national treatment'). Looking at the value chain,
it is not that developing countries do not benefit, but in some cases it
is limited (maquiladoras after NAFTA, or horrible conditions in Special
Economic Zones or enclavity). Transnational corporations do benefit,
especially because they can rig transfer payments and vary royalty
payments (IPR contracts can be as opaque as derivative contracts, and
that IPR accounting treatment is where tax haven competition is at) and
the rights holders payments are rather mobile (so taxes can be limited
and profits also wiped out by changing rates). Hardly any point in not
going where the greatest accounting opacity is if you want to maximise
profits. And if you are serious about innovation then a country like the
US even allows profit repatriation on a tax holiday basis... a real bounty.

Somehow rich country citizens (of course many are disempowered by low
intensity democracy and/or false choices) thought that these kinds of
forces could be strengthened to kick butt elsewhere and that they would
remain loyal to the nation... ?