[governance] Cerfing the Web, or Serfing the Web?

Aldo Matteucci aldo.matteucci at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 08:43:03 EST 2012

Hello
and thanks, Ginger,
for the introduction.

The concept of "access to internet as human right" is being used a bit too
loosely for my comfort:

The UNDHR has mothered two Conventions:

·       UNICCPR of 1966: International Covenant on Civil and Political
Rights<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Covenant_on_Civil_and_Political_Rights>,
and

·       UNICESCR, also of 1966: International Covenant on Economic, Social
and Cultural Rights<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Covenant_on_Economic,_Social_and_Cultural_Rights>
.

While the first obligates the signatories "respect and to ensure to all
individuals within its territory and subject to its jurisdiction" the
rights in that Convention, the second only demands “best efforts”:

*“Article 2* of the Covenant imposes a duty on all parties to

*take steps... to the maximum of its available resources, with a view to
achieving progressively the full realization of the rights recognized in
the present Covenant by all appropriate means, including particularly the
adoption of legislative measures*.

This is known as the principle of "progressive realisation". It
acknowledges that some of the rights (for example, the right to health) may
be difficult in practice to achieve in a short period of time, and that
states may be subject to resource constraints, but requires them to act as
best they can within their
means.”[1]<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#_ftn1>

This is what I meant by “Human Rights” are more akin to “aspirations” than
enforceable rights. Certainly UNICECSR is neither self-executing in a
country, nor judiciable.

The reason is materiality: as long as the law of scarcity is not repealed,
one needs to set priorities in fulfilling these aspirations.

So one core issue of any discussion on human rights is not whether the list
is exhaustive – it will never be and whether this or that further right
better be included; what is crucial is the ordering of priorities among all
these rights. Once these rights fall below the “line of scarcity”, any
discussion on them would be fatuous.

But one does not do policy by ranking alone. The real issue is one of
trade-offs: how much food vs. how much health or education; how much in the
North and how much in the South; and so on.

As Avishai MARGALIT points out – no one likes to talk
“compromises”[2]<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#_ftn2>.
Yet that’s the only real game in town, and any abstract discussion – gutted
of the material context – is whistling in the wind.

The last famine in India was Bengal, 1942. Democracies can’t afford
famines, and deal with them as a matter of priority. Mao was able to hide
30 million dead during the Great Leap Forward.

As A. K. SEN points out, life expectancy in India and China was about equal
in 1948. Today China ranks 80 in the list of nations, and its citizens
expect to live 73 years. India has a rank of 139, with an expectancy of
64.4. North Korea weighs in
67.3[3]<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#_ftn3>.
A matter of priorities, which translates as about 8 million Indians dying
prematurely every year.

Different priorities, different compromises, and different outcomes. Who
are we to judge, and overload the cart with “human rights” which, at best
are a distraction, and most likely will dilute priorities?

Now, and pragmatically: should internet access be a priority? I’d say yes,
and not for political reasons, but because internet is such a useful day to
day tool. People in India are voting with their pocket books when they buy
7 million mobile phones each month. Sure they use if for gossip, but
farmers learn where best to sell their crop. Internet could provide all
sorts of services to the villages, from health advice in emergencies,
education for children (the PC in the wall), to accounts for the *panchayat*.
There is no limit to the ways internet could transform daily life,
particularly in the rural areas. This is why, in genocide-scarred Rwanda,
providing every child with a PC is a priority.

Even a politically eunuch internet is transformative of the material world.
Of course internet should be both easily accessible (distribution + cost)
and protected from political interference (we’ll have to deal with its
“viral” aspects though). But, if push comes to shove, a rice bowl half full
for most, thanks to internet, might just be satisficing – in the short run.

------------------------------

[1]<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#_ftnref1>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Covenant_on_Economic,_Social_and_Cultural_Rights

[2]<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#_ftnref2>
Avishai MARGALIT (2009): *On compromises and rotten compromises*. Princeton
University Press.

[3]<https://mail.google.com/mail/html/compose/static_files/blank_quirks.html#_ftnref3>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

--