[governance] Cerfing the Web, or Serfing the Web? (Understanding Google's Internet Evangelism against Internet Access Rights)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jan 17 02:45:21 EST 2012

Hi All

It has been a very interesting discussion on Vint Cerf's op-ed on
Internet as (not being) a human right. I had some conceptual troubles
with the discussion for which reason I stayed out thus far. But Paul's
reinterpreting the discussion gives me a point of departure.

Two (very different) kinds of people have opposed terming access to the
Internet as a human right. One category is of tech/ Internet-enthusiast
who otherwise argue so much about how the Internet has fundamentally
transformed the world and so on. The other kind are among those who work
with issues of devleopment and poverty and find it a bit far-fetched to
speak of the Internet as a right given the present socio-economic
scenario they witness around them. It is very important to see that the
'objections' of these two groups are of a /very /different nature.

I think Internet should be seen as a right, but I have sympathies for
the views of the second group above, because I can understand why they
think as they do. They see people around them deprived of such basic
things that to them it looks almost a bit insensitive to speak of the
Internet as a right. However, they have perhaps not given much deep
thought to how the Internet is fundamentally and structurally
transforming social relationship, in a manner that impacts all, whether
on the Internet or not. However, as I said, I do sympathise with this
group of people, and the reason why they are averse to talking about a
right to the internet.

My real issue is with those who otherwise speak no end about the
transformatory impact of the Internet, and how the Internet is the best
thing to have happened to human beings for a long long time, but are
hesitant to use the terminology of 'rights' vis a vis the Internet. We
need to understand why they do so? I have followed postings of people
like McTim on this list who instinctively draw back from a 'rights'
terminology regarding the Internet, while their own lives seem deeply
steeped in things Internet.

Let me attempt a simple response to the quandary I posed. The problem I
think with many if not most people of this category/ group is that when
one speaks of 'rights' very soon after one can be expected to speak
about 'law'; and they just kind of hate application of human (political)
law to the Internet. (as if the Internet is not already an artefact
subject to various kinds of human will and interests.) This, in my view,
is the real problem with the 'rights' terminology for this group.

They see the Internet purely as a domain of private relationships and
contracts between individuals, who are somehow seen as automatically and
equally empowered by the technology, which is of course a dangerous
myth. This new 'free', 'open' and 'unencumbered' cyberspace that allows
myriad private relationships and contracts is sought to replace the
'social contract' which underlies our polities and our laws.  So of
course there is no need for a social contract or of laws regarding the
Internet. Internet is itself the law giver or rather the law replacer.
Which is also why many of them do not speak of citizens, or people of
humans in relation to the Internet, we have the term 'users' - people
defined in relation to the Internet rather than the other way around.
The term 'rights' simply doesn't sit too well with this world view,
other than perhaps a very abstracted and disembodied version of human
rights, released from their connection with polities and law, the kind
that is too often heard spoken of in Internet governance spaces.

All of the above is not necessarily a precise critique of the Vint
Cerf's article as such, but these are the thoughts that arise in my mind
on reading it, and the subsequent discussion. When one takes up the pen,
or the keyboard, to write an op-ed with the heading 'Internet access is
not a human right' one would generally have a compelling reason behind
it. Frankly, I havent been able to divine the reason that propelled Vint
in this case. I am sure he was not simply interested in interrogating
conceptual issues around rights, need of horses and the such. So, why
did he really take the trouble to write this article, is something I am
not clear about. What problem was he addressing (as a techie, such
clarity of thought must be native to him)?

Parminder