[governance] FW: [SPAM] Sign our Petition. Stop SOPA and help save Free Speech

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:48:50 EST 2012

In case you missed this...

-----Original Message-----
From: Tea Party Nation [mailto:mail at teapartynation.com]
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 8:00 AM
To: mgurst at vcn.bc.ca
Subject: [SPAM] Sign our Petition. Stop SOPA and help save Free Speech

 <http://www.teapartynation.com/> Tea Party Nation

A message to all members of Tea Party Nation

 <http://Teapartynation.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network>

Over the last few weeks, we at Tea Party Nation have been telling you about
the two bills that are being considered in the House and the Senate.  The
PROTECT-IP bill and the SOPA (Stop online Piracy Act) bill.  At TPN, we
usually refer to these bills as the Internet Death Penalty Act, as these
bills will kill free speech on the Internet.

We need your help now!  Take a moment to first sign our petition
<http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-sopa-2-2/> , then take a moment to
share this email with all of your friends.

These bills are terrible ideas.  They will create laws as draconian as
China's laws and will allow the government or even private individuals to
cause a website to be shut down on a mere allegation.

If someone claims a copyright violation, the web hosting service has five
days to remove the website or be sued.  Search engines are required to
delete any reference to the site, so it cannot be found.  All of this is
done before the owner of the website even gets a day in court.   Many
websites are run by small business owners who cannot afford the incredible
legal fees they would incur just to get their site back up and running.

These bills give the government the power to go in and shut down a website
on the mere claim of an infringement.  Does anyone really trust Barack Obama
or Eric Holder with our free speech rights?  Does anyone really trust them
not to shut down sites they do not like?

We must tell Congress under no circumstances should these bills ever be
passed.   The Internet has become and amazing place to share ideas and to
exercise free speech.  These bills would kill free speech on the Internet
and must be stopped.

Join us today.  Sign this petition
<http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-sopa-2-2/>  and tell Congress to
keep its hands off of our free speech and keep its hand off the Internet.
Forward this email to all of your friends and ask them to sign this petition
as well.

We take the Internet for granted and our rights of Free Speech for granted
as well.   Those rights must be protected or they will not be there for us
to enjoy.

Take a moment and sign our petition
<http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/stop-sopa-2-2/> today!

Visit Tea Party Nation at:
http://www.teapartynation.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

To control which emails you receive on Tea Party Nation, click
<http://www.teapartynation.com/profiles/profile/emailSettings?xg_source=msg_
mes_network> here

<http://www.teapartynation.com/xn_resources/widgets/index/gfx/spacer.gif?msg
type=broadcast> !DSPAM:2676,4f071a88217011556077088!