[governance] Re: CSTD WG on IGF 4th Meeting - 1st Memo

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 07:50:39 EST 2012

Some views to add to Izumi's memo:

- Remote participation is working well for me. Audio is good (minor cuts)
and I made a remote intervention. Not as fluid and interactive as onsite,
so it has political implication on a meeting like this. But secretariat and
members are really open to receive remote inputs. Anriette is having
problems with audio, unfortunately.
- The meeting started warm. Afterwards it improved in the discussion of
point E on links between the IGF and other processes.
- Some argued that these links mean that secretariat should do outreach and
PR, and inform about the IGF. Others argued for stronger links to
communicate IGF outcomes (convergences and divergences), especially with other
organizations of the UN system, and ask them for feedback.
- Time was spent to discuss competences of the executive coordinator of the
IGF. Kind of pointless, imo, but maybe I could not get it well
- Wolfgang made ​​an important point about the need to separate linkages
with UN, with regional/national IGFs and with other organizations. I think
he mentioned the idea of the observatory, which was ventilated before here
and, more recently, by IBSA. Maybe it could be a way to tie these up
- Some misunderstanding happened and it seems that the answers to the
questions WG members asked about funding have not arrived yet. Maybe they
will arrive later today, so the point about funding was postponed.
- Now the group is on lunch breake. Too early for me, so I am on coffee
breake.

Best,

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> Hi, from now on, i will not provide much details, as you can
> understand. But will share the summaries.
>

> After the wake-up discussion, we are entering into more substantive
> discussion on Linkage.
>
> Several similar ideas and proposals are discussed -
>
> Do not institutionalize too much
> Make two-way communication with other bodies
>
> Do not make IGF as if it is a decision making body.
>
> It is important to carry out Outreach.
>
> Who should "represent" IGF? Executive secretariat and Special Advisor
> or not - is now sort of being debated.
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade
FGV Direito Rio