[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Koven Ronald kovenronald at aol.com
Fri Jan 6 07:26:03 EST 2012

Dear All --

Those of us who fought all thru the WSIS prepcoms know that a (lower case) "right to communicate" already exists, embodied in Article 19 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights giving "everyone" freedom of opinion and expression, including the foresightedly written right "to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

We had to fight long and hard for reaffirmation of those terms in the WSIS final declarations, over the strenuous objections of the official Chinese and  Pakistani representatives and their allies.

Article 19 is both broad and specific enough to meet our needs. Effort need to be concentrated on gaining its implementation in countries where its obligations are ignored. Effort shouldn't be wasted in new rhetorical battles that neglect the "right to communicate" that we already have in principle.

Bests, Rony Koven