[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Jan 6 05:19:46 EST 2012

I think the important thing in what Vint is saying is this -

QUOTE ³The best way to characterize human rights is to identify the outcomes
that we are trying to ensure. These include critical freedoms like freedom
of speech and freedom of access to information ‹ and those are not
necessarily bound to any particular technology at any particular time.² END
QUOTE

What we currently define as the Internet wont be here forever ­ it will
morph into another and hopefully much better global communications mechanism
or series of mechanisms. We are already seeing Internet content being made
available via mechanisms which would never be defined as internet, eg mobile
phone apps, television publishing of you tube content etc.

Unfortunately the history of rights in this area from a UN perspective
continues to be haunted by the NWICO debates of the mid 1980s and the
projected right to communicate, vigorously opposed by USA at the time and
some of its allies. At that time the debate was about access to broadcasting
and therefore to a large degree access to spectrum ­ and indeed these remain
important issues.

I would like to see our efforts going towards the right to access knowledge,
the right to communicate, and freedom of speech. And I would like these to
be enshrined as applicable (where appropriate) in all present and future
media forms.

Ian Peter