[governance] Understanding the IT Lobby - An eye opener

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 03:34:03 EST 2012

Fouad

I will look through the documents you post sometime soon. But it is not
just lobbyists but also a range of other players, including in civil
society, that IMHO act as lobbyists (one need only look at the positions
of some "progressives" in the CIR debate) and who openly argued for what
I see as US exceptionalism (I know this was denied by some on this list,
but I have personal experience on this, so...).

The point is that public interest itself is something that needs to be
contested. It is not just one's location as a lobbyist or civil society
grouping (for instance on some of the SOPA stuff, the lobbyists of some
tech companies had a lot in common with public interest groups - which
may make them allies, but whether they are dependable or not remains to
be seen) that matters... so some articles drawing the lines in the sand
around civil society groups may also be interesting...

Riaz

     governance at lists.cpsr.org