[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Ivar A. M. Hartmann ivarhartmann at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 11:53:21 EST 2012

"However, I think that it is wise separate this from the obligation
to refrain from hindering Internet access.

These are in my opinion part of two different types of human
rights."

I believe we're on the same page, except when it comes to this need for a
separation between two different types of Internet access right.
I agree that there are two different types of human rights:
negative/freedom/civil-political rights and positive/social/economic
rights.
Even if one accepts this distinction, however, it's inescapable that all
rights require some negative performances and some positive performances by
the state. Take the right to life, which most people would say is a
negative/freedom right. In order to adequately protect it, states must
maintain, among other things, a police force (to prevent, repress and
investigate crime). And this is by no means a negative performance. The
right to life as been interpreted in some jurisdictions (e.g. India) to
sometimes require the state to provide health care services. Again, not a
negative performance.
So even though a right may require from the state predominantly a negative
performance (such as the right to life) or predominantly a positive
performance (i.e. right to housing), all of them require the other type of
performance as well - albeit to a lesser degree or not as often.

So the issue for me is: a right to Internet access has which dimension as
more predominant?
I used to believe it was the negative one, but in the last 2 years I've
changed my mind.

The concerns shared by Riaz are most relevant and they illustrate the
difference between a legal right (one which can be abolished freely by the
legislator - to my knowledge, that is the case of the right to Internet
access in Finland and Estonia) and a constitutional right (not subject to
abolition or nearly complete restriction by the will of temporary political
majorities).

Best,
Ivar