[governance] Is this for real?

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Feb 29 04:05:06 EST 2012

On 28.02.12 17:21, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <4F4CE5B8.8010604 at digsys.bg>, at 16:33:28 on Tue, 28 Feb
> 2012, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> writes
>> In recent times, it also includes geo-location information, including
>> the (very) precise location of your home wifi network.
>>
>> This is real funny, I once made experiment with the later: while
>> traveling, configured an AP with the same SSID that I have at home.
>> When asked to locate me on the map, Google "found" me at my home
>> location, even if I was few hundred km away from there.
>
> I'm a bit surprised they are doing it on the SSID of the APs, not the
> MAC address. (You didn't say if your travelling AP was the same as the
> one you used to have at home).

Different device and model, although the same manufacturer so MAC
address is similar. It is either poor mapping algorithm (Google also
makes the weird assumption that they know where particular IP
address/network is geo-located -- which with modern networking is naive
assumption) or because my home SSID for a long time was available on
only one location, it was marked as 'unique' (as long as my mobile
version of it is not on all the time, their surveillance equipment has
no chance to map it's location anyway). But all this is technology and
it will improve....

Daniel