[governance] Fwd: UN Human Rights Council [Possible Statement from IGC???]

Koven Ronald kovenronald at aol.com
Tue Feb 28 18:48:45 EST 2012

Dear All --

Herewith a proposed rewrite, attempting to simplify and clarify.

Each paragraph of the original draft is followed in italics by a proposed edited version.

Best regards, Rony Koven

Rightswithout borders – also known as human rights – have met their technologicaltwin in the form of the global Internet, a technology without borders.

The Internet hastransformed the reality of human rights by creating a space wherecommunications can become universally participatory and truly flow in all directions, regardlessof frontiers, instead of the previous situation in which information flows were largelytop to bottom, flowing from content creators to content consumers.

Theopen architecture of the Internet creates a new global commons that facilitates and enhances many pre-existinghuman rights, including but not limited to rights of free expression, rights ofinformation, petition, association and assembly, creative rights, and the rightto earn a livelihood and contribute to the culture of society. Internettechnology and design choices simultaneously extend human interaction inmultiple directions regardless of borders, at a far lower cost, and on a moredemocratic basis than previously imaginable.

[Previous graf unchanged,adding the word “global” before “commons.”]

Thispowerful symbiosis between natural birthrights and the nature of the Internetas a rights-enhancing technology has caused discourse about the Internet toincorporate many lofty attributes that are further fueled by already beingpartially realized, causing (among other things) thought leaders regarding theInternet to sometimes be referred to as “evangelists.” Generally speaking,these rights-enhancing aspects have caused the Internet to reach the loftiestplanes of human hope, joining democracy and religion at the level of promising“a more abundant life” for all, without the prominent downsides oftenassociated with some actual implementations of government and religion.

[Drop the previous graf. Religionshould be left out of this.]

Themost powerful question to ask concerning human rights on the Internet is notwhere these rights arise from or how they may be further enforced in courts,but where any claimed “right” to interfere with the freedom of the Internetarises from.  How can such a right of interference with freedom ofexpression be legitimately theorized, asserted and enforced? Because the verynature of the Internet is to facilitate free expression, and given that theInternet as a whole is both owner-less and international, how can any singlebusiness, national government, or person obtain and enforce a right tointerfere with the international freedom of the Internet? Any lack of claritythought to exist by some regarding where human rights “come from” simply palesin comparison to the lack of clarity of any asserted right to interfere withthe freedom of others on the Internet.  Any hypothetical “right tointerfere” with inherent human rights of freedom of expression is far moredifficult to justify and explain than upholding the natural human urge forself-expression and self-determination as a right.  Thus, absent highlyexceptional circumstances, in a contest between interference and freeexpression, free expression always has the better case, regardless of whetherfree expression is thought of as an enforceable legal right or not.

By its very nature, theInternet makes possible the facilitation of universal free expression. Giventhat the Internet is both ownerless and borderless, no single business,national government, or person has a right to interfere with the worldwidefreedom of the Internet. Any limit to the natural human right offreedom of expression has become far more difficult to justify and explain. Exceptin extraordinary circumstances that should be as narrowly defined as possible, restrictions to freedom of expression on and off line now seem even moreillegitimate than ever.

Accessto the full benefits and promise of the Internet can be interfered with orimpeded at numerous levels and by numerous actors, including businesses,governments, individuals, engineers, web designers, administrators. Arguably,businesses are in the position to make more choices that actually orpotentially impair or impede human rights on the Internet than government. Some“governmental” interference with the Internet is driven by business concernlobbying, such that much “governmental” interference can be attributed tobusinesses. Regardless of the relative amounts of responsibility one may assessto each, it is extremely clear that both governments and businesses can and areacting in ways that interfere with the Internet, either by failing to fullyunderstand the Internet, or by pursuing narrow interests over the publicinterest as a whole. Any such government or business that acts to impair orimpede the global freedom of the Internet should not be heard to claim thatthey “have the Internet” (in the case of a nation that filters or otherwiseinterferes) or that they “support the Internet” (in the case of a businessacting in fact to impede access to the full Internet, or censor content, etc.)

The Internet can beinterfered with or impeded at numerous levels and by many actors, includingbusinesses, governments, individuals, engineers, web designers, administrators.Commercial interests are often better able to impair or impede humanrights on the Internet than governments. Some ostensibly governmentalinterferences with the Internet are driven by business lobbying. In othercases, businesses may mask the reality that they are in fact imposinglimits for political reasons dictated by governments. Regardless of theirrelative responsibilities, both governments and businesses can and have actedin ways that interfere with the Internet, either out of failure to understand its nature and technology or in pursuit of narrow interests. Thosewho interfere with global or local Internet freedom should not be allowed toclaim that they act in its support.

AlthoughInternet companies are obliged to abide by national legal rules of hostcountries, they are even more obliged to follow global human rights laws likefreedom of expression than those national laws. Claims that domestic lawsrequire business cooperation with censorship, etc. should be met with theassertion of higher laws and norms than those of a single country.

Although Internet companiesmust follow the laws of host countries, they are also obliged to respectuniversal human rights, notably freedom of expression. Claims that domesticlaws require businesses to cooperate with censorship or other restrictionsshould be countered by invoking the obligations of national governments tohonor the universal human rights texts that bind them.

Inthe general context of market freedom, the development of new technologies willalways precede the question of the extent of their regulation. Yet, as humanactivity in the technology expands, some form of regulation is inevitable, justas it is impossible to imagine cities without any regulation, even though lackof regulation is possible in the countryside or wilderness. However, the paceof innovation and expansion on the Internet guarantees that no regulator cansufficiently keep pace. This requires deep commitment to human rights on thepart of engineers and others who are creating the Internet in real time.

The pace of development ofcontemporary communications technology in a globalized free market seems bound to continue to outstrip the ability of regulators to keep up. Someregulation seems inevitable, given the complexity of modern societies. It will inevitably lag behind the pace of innovation and expansion of the Internet.This requires deep commitment to and understanding of human rights by the systemsdesigners who modify the Internet environment in real time.

Thepre-existing duty of all nations to support the diffusion of educationconcerning human rights takes on a special urgency and importance in thecontext of the Internet, because important structural and design decisionsregarding the Internet will always continue to be made by Internet engineersand administrators at a speed and at a point in time where it is impossible fordetailed guidance or best practices to exist. In direct effect, the “governance”of the Internet, in significant part, takes place in real time and in diverseplaces, often by engineers and programmers making design decisions, making adecentralized awareness and knowledge of human rights norms by people workingon the Internet especially critical to preventing serious human rights issuesfrom emerging. Knowledge about human rights, like the Internet itself, is aform of power that not only can be decentralized, but must be decentralized,given the diffuse points of potential impact on rights on the Internet, and thelack of any centralized ownership or control that can legitimately affect thewhole.

The obligation of allgovernments to promote knowledge of human rights has taken on new urgency in the Internet era because basic structural and design decisions aboutcyberspace will continue to be made by Internet engineers and administrators ata speed that defies the possibilities of detailed policy guidance or adoptionof best practice norms. Understanding of human rights must therefore be generalized so asto avert their inadvertent compromise.

Therefore,the IGC declares that the Internet is, and by rights ought to be, a place forthe full expression of human freedoms and equality, the IGC condemns violationsof human rights on the Internet and wherever else they may occur, and the IGCcalls upon the United Nations and all people to support the utmost diffusion ofeducation about human rights so that developers, engineers, administrators andusers of the Internet can maximize the value of the Internet as an enhancementof the human experience for all people, making ever more real the humanflourishing that is both the reality and the promise of the Internet, and doingso “without regard to frontiers.”

The Internet GovernanceCaucus of the Internet Governance Forum therefore declares that the Internetis, and by right ought to be, a place for the full expression of human freedomsand equality. The IGC condemns violations of human rights both on the Internetand elsewhere. The IGC calls upon the United Nations and all people to supportthe widest spread of human rights education so that those who continue todevelop and use the Internet may maximize its ability to enhance the humanexperience and to turn into reality the promise of the Universal Declaration ofHuman Rights to do so “through any media and regardless of frontiers.”