[governance] Draft Compilation for Human Rights Themes

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Tue Feb 28 17:46:23 EST 2012

This is my compilation for Human Right themes thread.

I think there are still more themes that Civil Society want to push, but given
tight deadline, and also some active players are right now engaged in the
UN Human Right Commission, I would ask our MAG members to try to
accommodate some more.

Thanks,

izumi

IGF Themes Human Rights

ACCESS TO KNOWLEDGE; Internet as a tool of public participation
(instead of “consultation”)
 - a tool for connecting governments, governance and citizens.

'Children's Rights: Protection, Provision and Participation',
(Instead of ONLINE CHILD PROTECTION)

Balancing of rights
- Intellectual Property Rights vs. Freedom of Expression vs. Privacy
- Balancing the interests and human rights of producers and users of
creative, digital goods of culture.
- What are the most serious current imbalances and injustices?
- Strategies for improving the situation

Filtering
- How do you balance filtering content and freedom of expression?
- What should regulators consider when creating [filtering] policies?

- When is filtering acceptable? [w/strong objection]

* The spam problem
- Problems caused by undesired automated communications
- Undesired side-effects of spam filters
- Strategies for improving the situation

* Harmful and illegal content
- What kind of content should be declared illegal?
- What is done about this?
- Undesired side-effects of some of these measures
- Strategies for improving the situation

--
                        >> Izumi Aizu <<
                                  Japan
                                 * * * * *