[governance] Is this for real?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Feb 28 05:06:52 EST 2012

 at 13:29:20 on Tue, 28 Feb 2012, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
<salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> writes
>Is this for real

[Google web history]

Deleting the web history associated with an account should be fairly
safe - if it transpires that this is a lie (and such things have a
tendency to leak out eventually) it would be catastrophic for the
organisation.

On the other hand, I've just looked at the Web History for my two main
accounts, and one has never had it switched on and the other account has
only a few entries a week, which shows how rarely I actually "log in",
despite doing probably hundreds of Google searches a day.

On the other other hand, I had heard they kept something a bit like the
web history but linked to IP address and/or cookie, rather than account.
This rather old article explains how:

<http://searchengineland.com/google-anonymizing-search-records-to-
protect-privacy-10736>

I don't know if they still do this.

Much more detailed (but also old) article about Google tracking:

<http://searchengineland.com/google-search-history-expands-becomes-web-
history-11016>
--
Roland Perry