[governance] Re: Managing Critical Internet Resources [IGF 2012 - MAG Consultations]

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Mon Feb 27 11:49:44 EST 2012

On 2012-02-27, at 11:32 AM, Baudouin SCHOMBE wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> It is sometimes difficult to understand all the abbreviations that are sent in content. Could you detail for us to understand.

Baudouin,

The abbreviations that Bill included in his email are - key terms - related to internet governance. As you and/or others aren't familiar with them, let me try to share some - quick - background notes and/or references.

Suffice it to say, the terms mentioned are key ones that all in this caucus should be familiar with at some level...

regards

Robert

> 2012/2/27 William Drake <william.drake at uzh.ch>
>
> 	• WCIT and the ITRs

WCIT
- 2012 ITU World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT-12)

http://www.isoc.org/pubpolpillar/community/itr.shtml
http://www.itu.int/en/wcit-12/

A World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT) will be convened in 2012, the first ever WCIT in the history of the International Telecommunication Union.

By its Resolution 146, the Plenipotentiary Conference (Antalya, 2006) resolved that a review of the International Telecommunication Regulations (ITRs) should be carried out and that a world conference on international telecommunications (WCIT) be convened in 2012, on the basis of the recommendations arising from this process of review.

The ITRs establish general principles relating to the provision and operation of international telecommunication. They are designed to facilitate global interconnection and interoperability of telecommunication infrastructure, underpin the harmonious development and efficient operation of technical facilities, and promote the efficiency and availability of international telecommunication services. The International Telecommunication Regulations is a treaty instrument of the ITU. These Regulations succeeded the Telegraph Regulations (1973) and Telephone Regulations (1973) in a new treaty adopted at WATTC-88 (Melbourne).

Date and Venue
At its 2011 session (11-21 October), the ITU Council adopted Resolution 1335 (see Council Document C11/98) by which it resolved that the World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT-12) shall be convened, with the concurrence of a majority of the Member States, in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, for a duration of ten working days from 3 to 14 December 2012.

> 	• Enhanced cooperation, and other intergovernmental initiatives (e.g. China, Russia, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan)

Russia, China, Uzbekistan, and Tajikistan introduce proposed Internet 'code of conduct'

This unlikely quartet of countries has introduced a resolution to the U.N. General assembly, calling for the establishment of "international norms and rules guiding the behaviour of States in the information space."

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/09/21/russia_china_uzbekistan_and_tajikistan_introduce_proposed_internet_code_of_conduct
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/09/russia-china-tajikistan-propose-un-code-of-conduct-for-the-net.ars

> 	• Progress and impact of new gTLDs

Generic Top Level Domains