[governance] Final CSIGC Nominating Committee Cover Letter and Report

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Feb 25 12:05:27 EST 2012

Dear All

Most of the comments that I offer below are something I would prefer to
do on a closed members only list, but since, for reasons which remain
unclear to me, we dont have one, I will have to do so here.

First of all, I agree with what Avri said in an email - the MAG
nomination process this time around has been a disaster. Let's not mince
our words, since it is not a small issue. It involves basic questions of
IGC's legitimacy in the eyes of the world. We cant simply let it pass by
saying, ok, we learn lessons from everything in life. Civil society's
very standing and legitimacy depends on its conduct, its processes,
since we dont come to occupy the position we do with an specific
politically legitimising process - nothing other than what we stand for
and what we do. And this is legitimacy that needs to be renewed daily,
and it is lost much much faster than it can be built.

The primary responsible for what happened must lie with the non voting
chair, who, it is good to be reminded, unlike other nomcom members is
not selected by lottery. S/he volunteers to take up the task. So, when I
read hints of non performance of crucial tasks by the nomcom chair, I
dont know what to make of it. And why in that case was the chair not
replaced by the coordinators. And I cannot at all understand what is
meant by statements like the following in the nomcom report.

    "....the participating members did not receive all communications
    pertaining to the process."

We need to know more clearly what is meant by this. What communication,
and who was responsible for it. I understand part of it was that the
nomcom did not get a very large proportion of the names to be
considered. Who is responsible for this? What really happened? What else
did not get communicated? These are basic issues of transparency and
accountability, and we need to come completely clean on it. This is not
being good and nice to each other. This is about our vision and values
for democratic governance processes. We cannot go around preaching them
to others if we cannot uphold even basic standards ourselves.

I think another important factor responsible for what happened is that
that one of the co coordinator (the more experienced one ) was himself a
candidate and thus could not involve himself to looking into and
correcting the mess that was obviously developing. Coordinators, as the
elected IGC office bearers, are the primary custodians of IGC's
processes, and election offices for nomination processes. And this role
is very necessary and can be performed without getting involved in the
actual decisions about selection of the nominees. This has been done in
earlier times. It is the coordinators who have to keep a very close
watch at the process - and make themselves pro-actively available at all
times to the nomcom for process related issues.

It has been a practice for long that co-coordinators do not stand for
being nominated by an IGC noncom, and there was of course good reason
for that. I think that we should go back to that practice, and if needed
include it in the charter. I can clearly see how Izumi could not have
taken any action nor given advice when things were obviously not going
fine, and also, how, if he was in the position to do so, it is my
judgement, that much could have been averted.

Just the fact that the names of a large proportion of the nominees did
not actually get considered by nomcom  - becuase apparently they did not
receive them - would make the outcome of the process infructuous  or
invalid, though I dont want to labor this point. ( I believe that though
the process was almost fatally flawed, it is the collective will of the
IGC, including mine, the present set of nominees should stay as the ones
that are fully supported and forwarded by IGC.)

I also think that the invitation for nomcom nominees was not advertised
enough, especially close to the deadline, which is when most names pour
in. Getting 10 nominees and selecting 7 of them does not sound very
good, and is unlikely to further our cause as a group which claims to be
the premier IG CS group, globally. And to advertise well is both the
duty of the nomcom chair and the coordinators.

There were other oddities about the process - a list was put out as a
provisional list of selected people, of which I dont see any reason. And
then the nomcom report mentions this fact of putting out a provisional
list as the reason that they could not do any later amendments etc.
There simply seems to a lot of adhocism going around about what has to
be a very serious and responsible process.

parminder