[governance] Remote Participation

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 08:35:24 EST 2012

In keeping with my 300 word proposal, here is a VERY brief (148 words)
introductory summary. This could be followed by about 6 briefly stated
points that make more specific recommendations.

"A policy foundation has been laid for the implementation of remote
participation (RP) as fully as possible at the Internet Governance Forum
(IGF) meetings, and some staff are hired to facilitate. Also the Remote
Participation Working Group RPWG) has been working to make RP a reality. In
spite of this RP falls [far] short of being institutionalised.

The Internet Governance Caucus proposes that all actors should be assiduous
in facilitating this institutionalisation in whatever way possible.

RP is essential to enable the level of inclusion which is a basic principle
of the IGF. We need a balance between the both types of participations.

We have the slogan ‘One World, One Internet and Everyone Connected’, but in
fact we can’t assume to expect or provide the guaranteed same quality of
service for everyone and everywhere round the globe. However we have a
responsibility to be as inclusive as possible."

Imran I think you make the most important point here We need a balance
between the both types of participations. Last year the main theme for
Nairobi included the word 'catalyst' - this year we need the word 'balance'.

I have attached a word file with the text included in this message.

Deirdre