[governance] Pakistan: National URL Filtering

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:51:36 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:50 AM, Arzak Khan <azrak_khan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> The main purpose behind placing this filtering box is to allow the
> government at any time to completely restrict what it desires.

Do they block according to existilang laws such as Obscene Publication Act
etc. When I went into the site that Shahzad sent in relation to the link he
sent for the RFPs, I noticed that it was being put up by an arm of the
Government Ministry which was the R&D Fund. I then went into Pakistan's
Legal Database to see how this was organised and found the following:

"The* Pakistan Telecommunication (Re-organization) (Amendment) Act, 2006
(Act No. II of 2006) *seeks to amend the Pakistan Telecommunication
(Re-organization) Act, 1996. It provides for legal cover to the changes
made in the telecom sector introduced through the Telecom Deregulation
Policy and Mobile Cellular Policy. It further provides for establishment of
R&D Fund (Research and Development Fund) USF (Universal Service Fund), its
administration and utilization making it obligatory also on the part of the
Licensee to contribute to R& D plus US Funds. It enhances the powers of the
Federal Government to increase the number of members of the Authority and
further classifies the functions of Authority i.e. Pakistan
Telecommunication Authority".

[Several questions surface and I would like ask the following:-

   1. Was the amendment debated in Parliament? Was it the "express will of
   the people" ? It says "Act" but at the same time it is categorised as
   President's Order. I could assume that it was the decision of Pakistan's
   legislature;
   2. I have difficulties understanding how a Tribunal established by the
   Federal Government in Pakistan is the Appellate Forum along with the High
   Court under the *Pakistan Telecommunication (Re-organization)
   (Amendment) Act, 2006 (Act No. II of 2006). *Who gets to choose?*
   *
   3. As an outsider, I am somewhat comforted by Pakistan's National
   Judicial Policy, see:
   http://www.supremecourt.gov.pk/web/user_files/File/NJP2009.pdf which
   shows the Courts approach to perceived encroachment to certain liberties;
   4. It will be good if the Pakistan IGF could run workshops for the
   general community and weave it into judicial workshops and the main thing
   is to get people to understand the diverse perspectives etc and also get
   the Pakistan Human Rights Commission more involved in IGF if they are not
   already;
   5. I also note that this is a sensitive issue especially for those in
   conflict territory" and you may wish to read an excellent piece on "Freedom
   of Expression in Conflict Areas such as Pakistan, see:
   http://www.hrcp-web.org/shownews.asp?id=23

The reality is at the end of the day even for the ICCPR, and freedom of
expression there are rights and responsibilities and there are exceptions.
It is the determining of the boundaries that is at stake.

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT
Skype:Salanieta.Tamanikaiwaimaro
Cell: +679 998 2851